Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Everybody's Got a Story To Tell

Journey's begin with a single step...It's the same for all of us and we all have a story to tell.  Black Poodle Interiors is ispired by the joys and challenges of fitting a full family life - husband, pre-teen daughter, volunteer work, a beautiful black standard poodle, a clownish black miniature poodle, and a drapery design business into one slightly off kilter basket.  Follow me and see if you can relate to trying to do it all, and keeping a sense of humor along the way.

Everyone has a story to tell...
Yesterday I was meeting several coleagues - all drapery designers and workroom owners (yeah, we hang out together for inspiration, moral support, and off-the-books counseling sessions.)  My husband was traveling out of town, and I just got my gorgeous 11 year old daughter out the door for school.  The dogs went out and they did "their business"  - everything is going my way.... I just have to throw together my contribution for the luncheon when....(ominous music begins to play)...  Lily, the standard poodle - part goat who will eat anything - eats an oatmeal raisin cookie (my only one!), followed by unmentionable nasties from a trash can, (really - I can't mention them), and a leftover Halloween costume glove pilfered from the leaf piles in the yard.  Off to the vet, followed by a trip to the grocery store to buy lunch.  (All of this before 9:30 in the morning without the aid of the cookie or a cup of coffee!)

But at the luncheon, I found smart, stylish, and supportive women - business owner's all - who know when to laugh with you.  We shared our stories of what inspired us to leave our previous careers behind to help make other people's homes places of beauty and comfort.  Although I've know Denise for several years, I learned yesterday, she was once a clown (really, a clown!) who was booked every weekend to entertain kids at parties.  Who Knew?

The next time you gather with a group of people who share your interests, ask them what road lead to the decision to do what you do...you'll be amazed!

No comments: